Saturday, September 17, 2016

October Afternoon Farm Fresh Journaling Cards Layout

Hello Scrappers!

I absolutely LOVE using journaling cards on layouts! This is the Farm Fresh collection from October Afternoon:



I love the soft colour palette of this collection, it lends itself well to either coloured or black & white photos. These cards leave so much space for journaling!

 I thought I'd use this pocket style page for a traditional layout. I was able to use every single card on this layout!

Usually, journaling cards measure 3x4, however these cards actually measure 2.5 x 4. This allowed me to get 4 cards across the top of the layout with white space in between. 

The 3 cards in the middle are actually smaller than the others. They measure 2.5 x 3.5. This worked out great because I was also able to lay those across the middle with white space between them. 

Here's the layout:




I'm one of those people that think most photos must have a mat! You could pull any colour from the cards, I chose red so it would really bring out the colour of the fruits and veggies. 

The twine border was a bit tricky. I used Tombow Mono liquid glue to adhere it to the page. 

Here's how I did it: 

1. Cut a piece of twine about twice the length of the perimeter of your mat. Always cut longer than you think you need. It will look funky if your twine is too short and needs to be fused halfway. 

2. Starting at a point where you know you will be placing an embellishment over top, draw a thin line of glue in the shape you want your twine to lay. 

3. Working very slowly, lay your twine over the glue and hold it down until you're confident it's stuck. Continue around the mat, twisting and twirling the twine to create the effect we did here.

4. When you get all the way around your mat, cut your twine as close to the beginning of the border as possible. Cover with an embellishment, I used an apple from Jolee's Boutique that was in my stash. 


 A great tip for getting the journaling cards straight is to place your layout on your craft mat, lined up along the grid. Use a ruler to connect 2 of the grid lines and hold the ruler straight while you put your cards into position. 



I added a light brown doily, and cut a title on my Cricut and it all came together.

I have a great photo of the kids picking strawberries at a local farm for this layout.

We're headed back to the farm again this weekend! Can't wait! Have a great day!

Lori
xo




1 comment:

  1. Another idea for a layout. Using journaling cards to create a grid is great way to use up the 'stash' that has grown over the years. Thanks for your suggestion! .... Lynda

    ReplyDelete